Sunday, July 13, 2014

Dining Room for an Old Soul


Here's the latest update on our dining room- a new (to us) farmhouse table, 6 chairs, 2 arm chairs, and a huge china cabinet. I found a great deal on Craigslist! The chairs actually came with straw seats, but the seller had a huge box of unopened leather seats for free! The straw was cute, but I envisioned yogurt being thrown into them by my son and they would never be the same. 

Our old table and cabinet was really nice too, but very limited on space. 
It could fit a max of 6 people with the leaf in. The new table can fit 8 normally and then has 2 leaves which make it 3 feet longer! 

Special thanks to my friend Sharon, my amazing dad, brother, and husband who helped lift everything and haul the table and cabinet, and to my mom for watching my toddler while we moved it all in place! Solid cherry wood is no joke to lift.

I titled this post "Dining Room for an Old Soul" because I feel like it's no longer trendy to have china cabinets or even a formal dining room. I actually didn't register for china when I got married, I got them from my grandparents when I graduated high school, I think they came from my great-great aunt. I loved them! Of course, back then I didn't have a place to put them! And for 10+ years I didn't have a place to display them, until now! 

The picture doesn't do it justice...this thing is really huge. I no longer have to keep my china in the protective bags!










My high school graduation china on display!









Carnival glass bowl from Nathan's mom's mom.








Bowl from Nathan's dad's mom.













More carnival glass from my mom. 











Birthday cake plate that my mom's family used and now we've used it for both of my son's birthdays! The plates were one of my great grandmother's, I think. We happened to find some that matched the set at the antique mall.






Wedding gifts!
I have to thank my college roommate, Cassie for my love of drinking out of goblets. It can make any occasion special! We used to buy cokes from the machine and pour them into goblets in the dorm! (Our college goblets weren't quite this fancy!)

Yes, I like sparkly things. I am so thankful for our wedding gifts!




The storage at the bottom of this cabinet has is incredible! I cleaned out an entire set of pink willow dishes that were in my kitchen cabinets. Now, I might be able to use them more since they aren't crammed in with other things.

Huge, deep drawers for linens! I also am a weirdo with my love of table coverings and cloth napkins. The tan set is one that I picked up in the market in Florence, Italy. The blue one is one I used for Easter when I was pregnant with Mack. The blue and red floral is from my mom/grandmother.






Moving on to more old soul things:
My mom found this china cabinet at an antique mall that also becomes a secretary desk. This was our only display piece until we recently got the other set.















The top houses all of my punch bowl glasses and snack trays from my mom:









And the bottom has all of our stationery, stamps, and such.

My favorite stationery is from Florence, Italy:











My "Happy Everything" plate found a new home in the kitchen instead of the dining room:



















Thanks for stopping by! Let me know when you want to come eat with us on our table, using china and cloth napkins!


No comments:

Post a Comment