Thursday, December 20, 2012

Basement Bedroom

As I said before, older homes have smaller bedrooms and lack of storage.  Our goal if we had stayed in this house was to eventually put a bathroom in and move downstairs.  Here are some lovely before and after shots:


 Before:  This area was a workshop to the side of the garage.  My husband's goal when he first started this project (before we met) was to add another room and then another renter.  He had to settle for me instead:)  The air conditioning vents could not be moved and they hung down too low to put a bed underneath.  I suggested adding a huge closet as climate controlled storage.  We stored our Christmas tree and out of season clothing in this closet.



Drywall 

 I like to call this the "Great Closet Door Debate."  My husband and his buddy made closet doors to fit the non-standard openings created by adding the closet under the air vents.  These closet doors were pretty, but they were extremely heavy and we had countless problems finishing them (painting, adding plexi glass panels, getting them to close properly). 






We ended up scrapping the huge, time consuming project and we bought sliding closet doors that overlap and cut the bottoms off.  They slid on a track from the top.  Easy to paint, easy to hang.  Much better than making your own, in case you were wondering!



 After:  I added a sewing desk down here after I got a sewing machine for Christmas.  
Before and after the window was added.  To be a bedroom that is up to code, you must have a window and a closet.






No comments:

Post a Comment